[LAU] nama

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 14:36:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Joel Roth <joelz at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 04:52:38PM +0400, alex stone wrote:
>> I get the following error when attempting to start nama:
>>
>> illegal return value, stopped at
>> /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.12.2/Audio/Nama.pm line 1421.
>>
>> The app then stops.
>
>> For those using this (and this is my first time), is this a regular
>> error, or am i deep in the swamp with the alligators circling, so to
>> speak?
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> That (admittedly cryptic) message means that
> Nama sent a command to Ecasound using the Ecasound's Net-ECI
> interface, and got a return value other than 256.
>
> I don't know much about it, except that it has happened
> before. The alligators usually swim off. :-)
>
> To help me understand your environment can I ask:
>
> - what OS version are you using?
> - how did you install Nama?
> - how did you install Ecasound?
>
> Here are some things to try:
>
> 1) Start Nama with the -D (debugging info) flag.
> You'll see what was sent and what came back before Nama
> decided to fall on its sword.
>
> 2) Start Ecasound in server mode in a separate terminal with debugging
> turned on:
>
>    ecasound -K -ddd --server
>

> Then start Nama again.  This will enable you to observe what
> happens in Ecasound.
>
> 3) Install Audio::Ecasound to provide an alternative
> interface to Net-ECI.
>
>    cpan Audio::Ecasound
>
>    -OR-
>
>    apt-get install libaudio-ecasound-perl
>
>    (The package is available for Debian 'sid' but will install
>    on any Debian distribution.)
>
> Note that Nama will always use Audio::Ecasound if available.
> You will need to use the -n flag if you want to force it to
> use Net-ECI.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Joel
>
>> Alex.
>>
> --
> Joel Roth

Joel, i'm well and truly lost here, (first time using perl,Cpan, etc)
but here's the info:

Ecasound 2.6.0 installed from an ebuild in Gentoo. (64bit)

I tried nama from cpan, removed it (with the intent of trying again),
then after the 2nd try it told me nama was up to date. Good to know,
but how do i then install it from there? first time (obviously) it
installed the app automatically. 2nd time, well, the alligators are
laughing their heads off at my ineptitude.....
I assume from this, there's a nama module on my system somewhere that
i have to somehow bring to life.

Alex.

p.s. On the nama site it says i can install cpan
audio::ecasound::multitrack (presumably a clever way to install nama),
but when i try, it tells me the module is not in the repo. Have i
misunderstood this? And is the version up to date?

--
www.openoctave.org

midi-subscribe at openoctave.org
development-subscribe at openoctave.org