[LAU] nama

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 09:55:24 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 4:54 AM, Joel Roth <joelz at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 04:13:09AM +0400, alex stone wrote:
>> I'd appreciate the help! Nama won't start unless i cd to the dir it's
>> in, and i can only start it with
>>
>> perl Nama.pm
>
> That's not quite enough to run Nama, but seems to be
> enough to show your system has some configuration issues.
>
> When you installed Nama, the install script is supposed to
> create a script called 'nama'.
>
> try this:
>
> $ find /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin -name nama
>
> FWIW, 'nama' is only a stub. So you could create your own.
>
> --cut--
> #!/usr/bin/env perl
> use Audio::Nama;
> Audio::Nama::main();
> --cut--
>
>> It then attempts to start, but crashes before i get anywhere
>> near a gui.
>
> Sweet Holy Mother, why are you running Nama if you want a
> GUI?
>
> Any reason to prefer it over something more mainstream
> such as Audacity?
>
> For some reason the first error you reported was much
> closer to a running Nama that what you're talking
> about now.
>
> If you can get the program started at all,
> and if you do decide you want Nama's GUI, you could
> use cpan to install 'Tk', which you'll need for
> GUI interaction.
>
> (Be warned that Nama's GUI doesn't even have a waveform
> display.)
>
> Do you have an extra partition to install a user-friendly
> distro like Debian or Ubuntu?
>
> It might be easier to see if you even like Nama under one of
> those environments. Typing
>
>        apt-get install nama
>
> is quite convenient. :-)
>
> Then
>
>        apt-get install perl-tk
>
> gets the GUI support you want.
>
> Best,
>
> Joel
>

> --
> Joel Roth

Joel, After a complete cleanout and start again, nama is up and running.

I've used all ebuilds for the perl modules, and only used cpan for
nama itself. (Gentoo to the rescue....:) )

This was an experiment to access the ecasound engine with something i
could manipulate fairly quickly as a user. Text mode is as useable as
a gui, so i have something to work with.

Thanks for the clues, they helped.

I'll ask the pro-audio overlay team if they can consider adding Nama
to the overlay, then it's even easier.

Alex.
--
www.openoctave.org