[LAU] nama

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Mon Oct 25 10:55:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 01:55:24PM +0400, alex stone wrote:
> Joel, After a complete cleanout and start again, nama is up and running.
>
> I've used all ebuilds for the perl modules, and only used cpan for
> nama itself. (Gentoo to the rescue....:) )

Yes, it's generally smoother to install perl modules via
distro method than using cpan, where that's possible.

'local::lib' is the new perl shiny for handling non-distro-
supplied modules. It allows you to install them in a
directory such as ~/perl5.

That seems to be better than the historical /usr/local
hierarchy, because

- it allows multiple indepedent local libs
  (for example to test or support specific apps)
- modules can be installed using cpan without root permissions

Digression

       The only (slightly) fiddly thing is the initial bootstrap
       phase. After you've installed local::lib

       	perl -Mlocal::lib -e 1  # sets up ~/perl5

       Assuming installation in ~/perl5, you end up needing
       to add the following lines to .bashrc

       	eval $(perl -I$HOME/perl5/lib/perl5 -Mlocal::lib) # everything but MANPATH
       	export MANPATH="/home/jroth/perl5/man/:$MANPATH"

       Okay, and then re-initializing cpan client to install to the
       new path.

> This was an experiment to access the ecasound engine with something i
> could manipulate fairly quickly as a user. Text mode is as useable as
> a gui, so i have something to work with.

Great, that's exactly what Nama seeks to provide.

> Thanks for the clues, they helped.
>
> I'll ask the pro-audio overlay team if they can consider adding Nama
> to the overlay, then it's even easier.

Thanks! That would be a help, in which case I'd like to make
sure they get the latest and greatest version. :-)

Joel

--
Joel Roth