[LAU] Sonivox

Marco Asa aesir.ml at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 20:34:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 14:43:33 -0400
Brett McCoy <idragosani at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Darrin Thompson <darrinth at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> I have a project coming up to compose some music for a video game I'm
>> making. I want to keep costs low everywhere except for sample
>> libraries. Given my past experience I'd like to overspend there a
>> bit. I'm really impressed with how Sonivox samples sound and I'd
>> prefer to do my sequencing and mixing with open source tools.
>> I'm shooting for a tween bubble gum sound hoping to appeal to the
>> "likes iCarly" crowd. I'm interested in opinions/pointers to the
>> sequencer, audio effects, and any experiences people have had with
>> sample libraries, particularly Sonivox. I'm comforable with Ardour
>> although I have doubts about my actual mixing skills.
>
>I'm not familiar with Sonivox but I use high-end samples on an almost
>daily basis (EWQL, Kontakt, etc). They are all Windows based sample
>libraries, however, and I host them using Reaper x64 on a Windows 7
>box, and do all of my sequencing and mixing with Rosegarden and Ardour
>respectively, on Linux, of course, using QMidiNet/ipMIDI between the
>two machines.
>
>What sample engine are you using?

The windows box solution, is probably the easiest way to work
with expensive sample collections, but I have to say that sequencing
and sampling on the same linux box is a challenging and instructive
experiment worth to try.

I spent a lot of time to convert huge .nks files (kontakt) to gigastudio
instruments, so that I could use them in LinuxSampler, but now i can
tweak every single parameter and, more important, on a single linux
system.

The software chain I use:

Qtractor(sequence)->
->LinuxSampler->
->Qtractor(mixer + effect plugins)->
->audio output/ardour recording

performance are excellent, i can sequence an entire symphonic orchestra
even on a netbook, it seems much lighter than kontakt on windows.

Ciao!

--
Asa Marco <marcoasa90 at gmail.com> 朝