[LAU] Fwd: Delay problem real time listening to a live input audio

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sat Oct 30 12:32:13 UTC 2010

On Sat, October 30, 2010 5:21 am, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Ameur Esseket <esseket.ameur at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> no chance, I tried many times configurations and nothing. I have always
>> the
>> same case, once I can record without hearing the guitar I am playing
>> into
>> ardour. I only listen to it after the recording, otherwise I
>> with pactl load-module module-loopback, the delay kills..
>> Any tuto for installing jack, ardour and recording.
>
> google will find many.
>
> but we've already established that you have a problem with pulse
> audio. you should NOT use pulse audio and JACK together unless you
> really, really know what you are doing. your problems are because you
> are making JACK route audio via PulseAudio. PulseAudio is not a low
> latency system, and feels entirely at ease creating seconds' worth of
> delay.
>
> many of us either remove pulseaudio, or never install it, or disable
> it, or use 2 audio interfaces ("soundcards") and leave to do its thing
> wth the el cheapo builtin one.

Or the more viable option is to use jack2 and it will automatically
disable pulseaudio when it starts and re-enable it when it stops.

Pulse can do low latency but it's main goal is to provide seamless desktop
audio for normal audio users and mobile devices.

If you want to do low latency recording/audio production then you should
use jack directly.

If you don't want to uninstall PA then use jack2 and all is dealt with
gracefully.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.

"ZPE is not about creating something from nothing: It is about using the
zero point of a wave as a means to transform other forms of potential
energy like magnetic flux, heat, or particle spin into usable energy in
such a way that entropy appears to be reversed."