[LAU] shepard scale generator in supercollider

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sat Oct 30 20:46:33 UTC 2010

hi,

I've just been working on some supercollider code to automatically
generate notes in a shepard scale from any incoming midi events. I
thought I would post the code and a sample of how it sounds in case
anyone else finds it useful.

The way it works is you send supercollider a stream of midi events
through its midi port, and the program converts these into outgoing midi
events which represent notes in a shepard scale. If you play a rising
scale on a keyboard, the notes will come out as rising shepard scale
notes; similarly for a falling scale. It works best if you feed it into
a pure sine wave generator, but you get some interesting effects with
other synths.

The code and the sample mp3 are here:

http://www.ganglion.me/media/

Any comments on the code are welcome. (I'm still fairly new to
supercollider :) ).

hope someone finds this useful,

andy