[LAU] Music made with linux: Abundance - Ambient-Psy-Trance

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Oct 31 11:35:54 UTC 2010

On Sat, October 30, 2010 9:16 am, Gwenhwyfaer wrote:
> In my opinion, the most audible influence upon Shirkey's oeuvre is
> that of Dunning & Kruger.

I would have said Kruder and Dorfmeister myself ;-P

> On 30/10/2010, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
>> Excerpts from Patrick Shirkey's message of 2010-10-26 08:06:43 +0200:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have uploaded a new mix I have done last night and this morning
>>> inspired
>>> by Halloween weekend 2010 in Sydney, Australia and in particular Stacey
>>> Pullen's excellent set. If you listen closely you may hear the
>>> influence.
>>>
>>> It's a long player - 808 MB - 65mins - flac, 48Khz, stereo
>>>
>>> http://djcj.org/audio/kotau/Abundance-Ambient-Psy-Trance-DJ_Kotau_Session_2010-10-26.flac
>>>
>>> Recorded on a quad core Intel 3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 12, using ardour3
>>> for
>>> multitracking, AMS for the pulsating bassline and Hydrogen for the drum
>>> sequencing.
>>>
>>> Designed to be played loud and immersively, and preferably with a large
>>> blast of dopamines to the brain.
>>>
>>> I think it could be enhanced with a seriously funky bassline. If anyone
>>> wants to take a stab at it, that would be cool wid me. It's definitely
>>> in
>>> there just about bursting to get out.
>>>

>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Patrick Shirkey
>>> Boost Hardware Ltd.
>>>
>>> "ZPE is not about creating something from nothing: It is about using
>>> the
>>> zero point of a wave as a means to transform other forms of potential
>>> energy like magnetic flux, heat, or particle spin into usable energy in
>>> such a way that entropy appears to be reversed."
>>
>> Hi Patrick.
>> In the spirit of bad press is better than no press, here's my feedback:
>> I put the song on and after a while felt an urge to sing. Given my less
>> than stellar reputation as singer I'm not sure whether it's a good sign.
>> Then I went grocery shopping, came back, and it felt like I hadn't
>> missed anything.
>>
>> In other, more blunt and direct words, even highly repetitive is a
>> misnomer. To my ears it's just boring, unmusical and annoying.
>>
>> Who am I to criticize? Anything I've done is hardly any better, but I
>> know that the music I am able to and like to create is not the kind of
>> music people would want to listen to, myself included. This is not
>> supposed to discourage you, it's just another point of view.

Thanks for listening Philipp. Your feedback is constructive and well
thought out.

I will grant you that this music is *not* easily accessible - at the moment.

I am working on that aspect. Unfortunately I only have so many hours in a
week and many other things I am supposed to be doing at the same time.

Cheers.