[LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Sep 2 07:13:29 UTC 2010

Louigi Verona wrote:

> Real talent leads a person.

The whole idea "real talent leads a person" is one of the fallacies that
came from the Romantic movement. As if the "artist" was some special
divine being, possessed by the spirit of the gods.

> In fact, many genius people lived in poverty.

I think many "genius" people lived in poverty because they chose not to
do the actions that would get them out of it. If you are a "genius"
painter, you can certainly paint and be paid for commissions: if you're
willing to paint what others want, instead of being all wrapped up in
yourself. If you can't paint an acceptable commissioned portrait, I'd
certain question your claim to being a "genius."

Also, some of the Romantics were insane (the reasons don't matter). Back
then, insanity was frequently not treated at all - the insane who
weren't a danger to others were left to wander their own lives ...

Arrogance and egotism is what leads artists away from their true roots:
specialized craftspeople.

FWIW, I can appreciate a well-written and effective ad jingle as well as
  the sublime beauty of the Canon in D. I think the person who wrote
that jingle today might have been writing chamber music in Bach's day.
And who knows what Bach would have written today if he'd been born and
raised in our times?

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com