[LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Thu Sep 2 08:54:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, david wrote:

> Louigi Verona wrote:
>
>>  Real talent leads a person.
>
> The whole idea "real talent leads a person" is one of the fallacies
> that came from the Romantic movement. As if the "artist" was some
> special divine being, possessed by the spirit of the gods.

No, I think there is some truth to that, that artistic inclination will
drive someone.  I tried to quit music for several years, because of a
lot of the same reasons we've been talking about...the state of music in
the 90's and 2000's.  I came back to it for reasons I couldn't justify
even to myself.  I simply had to write songs.  It didn't even matter if
I could find reason to tell myself why.

> Also, some of the Romantics were insane (the reasons don't matter).
> Back then, insanity was frequently not treated at all - the insane who
> weren't a danger to others were left to wander their own lives ...

That happens now in big cities too.  I live in Chicago, and I once saw
a man standing on a bus stop bench with a newspaper held up in one
hand, screaming at traffic as it drove by.  People mostly just ignored
him.  I don't know if he was an artist, but he was probably insane.  :)

Still, it's probably better than the 50's when they used to use mental
patients for drug experiments and give them shock treatments.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky