[LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Fri Sep 3 07:25:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, david wrote:

> But if you simply "had to write songs" at the expense of making a
> living, ended up living on the streets, still making songs, I think it
> would qualify quite well as some form of insanity. I understand OCD is
> very popular now.
> ;-)

Well, it's never made me homeless, but I swear, the prices they charge
for ordinary things like mic and cymbal stands, drumheads, etc. has
certainly given its best shot and *trying* to make me broke.  I think
Adrian Utley of Portishead is right about what he said about getting
into modular synths, except it's true for music gear in general -- it's
like a crack addiction.  Once you get into it, you're a goner (and so
is your bank account).

That's also why I don't have any hardware modular synths.  My vintage
keyboards are a bad enough money drain without getting into THAT...  I'm
particularly avoiding the siren call of semi-modulars like the Arp 2600
and the Korg MS-20.  Because...that's how it starts...  :)

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky