[LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Sep 4 06:32:36 UTC 2010

Louigi Verona wrote:
>     I do see that the idea that people just "have to write songs", as we
>     can label the principle for ease of reference, is alien to you.
>
>     No, it isn't. I started writing poetry before I was in high school.
>     Had to write poetry. So I do understand it. And I've been playing
>     music since I was 3.
>
> Then  what are we arguing about?

Strangely enough, I actually made money from my poetry. Writing the
poems I wanted to write - not greeting card verse or sappy sentimental
booklets. ;-)

I think we were arguing about seeming conflicts between doing art for
money and doing art for self-satisfaction/one's own needs. But this
thread has demonstrated the usual fate of discussion list threads and
fractured into a number of things!

I spent 2 years playing music professionally, and decided that I simply
wasn't willing to sacrifice the enormous amount of life it would have
taken to become successful. I have relatives who chose differently, and
make very comfortable livings in music. But neither of them writes music.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community