[LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue Sep 7 02:25:50 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 10:44:18AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 7:01 AM, rosea grammostola
> <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Processor:
> > So it looks like I go for a intel i3 processor, with integrated gpu.
> >
> >> Anyway, I'm a fan of Asus MBs, either Intel or AMD processors. I used
> >> to work for AMD but frankly right now it's pretty hard to beat Intel's
> >> Core i5 & i7 offerings. I've got an i5-661, i7-920 and an i7-980x.
> >> They are all quite nice at different price points and the i5 is very
> >> energy efficient.
> >
> > MB:
> > Does it make sense to go for an Intel motherboard when I have also a Intel
> > processor? Then it should fit right ;) Like the Intel Desktop Board DH55HC
> > for example?
>
> The Intel DH55HC is in fact the motherboard I am responding from. It's
> been quite good so far with the i5-661.
>
> In fact I believe the integrated graphics for the i5-661 ONLY work
> with an Intel motherboard, or did so 6 months ago when I built this
> machine.

I'm enjoying this thread because I'm putting together an estimate for building an Ardour DAW for a friend's studio.

What about the Xwindows bugs with the Intel graphics chipset? There was some horrible bug that made RT kernels lock up or Xrun (I don't remember which; both are unacceptable), and the Xorg team didn't look like they were working on it. Is it fixed? Which distros have that fix?