[LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 10:56:39 UTC 2010

Hi,

Speaking about mainbords, I found three options which might be good
for my setup:

MSI H55-G43
Asus P7H55-V
Intel® Desktop Board DH55HC

One thing made me a bit confused though. I read here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2929

"The diagrams lay out the topology simply enough; what they don't make
clear is that Clarkdale CPUs are confined to single GPU configurations
by Intel when used in conjunction with H55/H57 motherboards. That does
not mean to say that you can't run dual GPU configurations on H55/H57
altogether though; you can if you use a Lynnfield series processor, if
the motherboard vendor has taken the trouble of placing the
appropriate lane switches onto the board.

The only way to get dual GPU capabilities from Clarkdale CPUs is to
use them in a supporting P55 motherboard. Weird, no? The segregation
would make sense if Intel offered the H55 and H57 chipsets to vendors
at a substantially reduced price in comparison to P55. Clearly, that's
not happening at present, as the H57 costs $3 more than the P55 before
you've even put a component on the motherboard."

So should I get a P55 or H55 motherboard for a i3?

\r