[LAU] Installing Google Voice Chat for Linux on Fedora instead of Debian

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 14:54:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 2:23 AM, Philipp Überbacher
<hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> The question was how to configure gstreamer without gconf. Without gconf
> installed there's no ~/.gconf and no gconftool. I'm under the impression
> that gstreamer is impossible to configure without gconf. gstreamer is
> afaik supposed to support jack as audio output, but no gstreamer
> depending application I ever encountered provided a way to set its audio
> output to jack, or change any other audio option for that matter.

Sorry for misunderstanding what you were looking for. I answered the
easy part of the question :-) . I'm not sure how it would be done w/o
gconf because you'd need a mechanism to specify which alsa source or
sink you'll be using.

To get this capability, you need to install the appropriate alsa
plugin for jack: alsa-plugins-jack; then use jackaudiosink instead of
alsasink, pulsesink, etc in your gstreamer config. See
for details ("How to: Use Jack for GStreamer output (so you can EQ
banshee/rhythmbox w/Jack-Rack!)")

ANd here's the plugin you need to make it all work:

Name        : alsa-plugins-jack
Summary     : Jack PCM output plugin for ALSA
URL         : http://www.alsa-project.org/
License     : LGPLv2+
Description : This plugin converts the ALSA API over JACK (Jack Audio Connection
            : Kit, http://jackit.sf.net) API.  ALSA native applications can work
            : transparently together with jackd for both playback and capture.
            : This plugin provides the PCM type "jack"

-- Niels.
http://nielsmayer.com