[LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Sat Sep 11 12:20:17 UTC 2010

rosea grammostola:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all the info so far.
> I have gathered some components:
>
> Processor: i5 750
> Heatsink: ?
> MB: Asus P7P55D
> Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB(2x2GB) PC3-10666
> HDD: 2 x Western Digital WD5000AADS (Bulk, Caviar Green) (500GB)
> Case: Antec SOLO
> Fan: Nexus 120mm Real Silent case fan
> DVD: Lite-On iHAS124 24xDVDRW
> PSU: Seasonic S12II, 380Watt, ATX
> Screen: Lenovo L1951p 19" or ThinkVision L197 19inch (1440x900) Wide
> Flat Panel LCD (Analog/Digital) HDCP TCO 03,MPR-II

That cabinet has the PSU placed at the top.
If you want a silent case, but one which is cheaper
than antec p183, maybe fractal design could
be an alternative?

Regarding heatsink, thermalright hr-02 looks really promising.
It might not be good enough to run passively, although it is supposed
to, but the fins are wide, so you could get away with using a low-pressure
fan such as a noctua uln, which is extremely quiet running at 400rpm.
In case you can't get hold of it yet, you could just use the one
which is included with the CPU until hr-02 is in store.

Also, I would buy one harddrive at 1GB instead of two at 500GB.
Harddrives these days are so fast anyway, that you probably don't
need to run RAID or anything for multitracking. (Even the
slowest HD should be more than fast enough.)
In your setup, the harddrive is also likely to make the most
noise. (not because the ones you have picked is noisy, quite
the contrary, but because the other parts should be quite silent)