[LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 12:53:51 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Kjetil S. Matheussen
<k.s.matheussen at notam02.no> wrote:

> rosea grammostola:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for all the info so far.
>> I have gathered some components:
>>
>> Processor: i5 750
>> Heatsink: ?
>> MB: Asus P7P55D
>> Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB(2x2GB) PC3-10666
>> HDD: 2 x Western Digital WD5000AADS (Bulk, Caviar Green) (500GB)
>> Case: Antec SOLO
>> Fan: Nexus 120mm Real Silent case fan
>> DVD: Lite-On iHAS124 24xDVDRW
>> PSU: Seasonic S12II, 380Watt, ATX
>> Screen: Lenovo L1951p 19" or ThinkVision L197 19inch (1440x900) Wide
>> Flat Panel LCD (Analog/Digital) HDCP TCO 03,MPR-II
>>

> That cabinet has the PSU placed at the top.
> If you want a silent case, but one which is cheaper
> than antec p183, maybe fractal design could
> be an alternative?

Thanks.
I didn't see scientific sources which confirms that the 'PSU on bottom
approach' is better ;)
I was thinking to follow this approach
It just needs one fan...

> Regarding heatsink, thermalright hr-02 looks really promising.
> It might not be good enough to run passively, although it is supposed
> to, but the fins are wide, so you could get away with using a low-pressure
> fan such as a noctua uln, which is extremely quiet running at 400rpm.
> In case you can't get hold of it yet, you could just use the one
> which is included with the CPU until hr-02 is in store.

I'll check it.

> Also, I would buy one harddrive at 1GB instead of two at 500GB.
> Harddrives these days are so fast anyway, that you probably don't
> need to run RAID or anything for multitracking. (Even the
> slowest HD should be more than fast enough.)
> In your setup, the harddrive is also likely to make the most
> noise. (not because the ones you have picked is noisy, quite
> the contrary, but because the other parts should be quite silent)

True, but how do you backup your stuff? Plus people seems to advise a
special drive for audio stuff.

Regards,
\r