[LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

Sat Sep 11 17:10:36 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 15:12 +0200, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, rosea grammostola wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Kjetil S. Matheussen
> > <k.s.matheussen at notam02.no> wrote:
> >>
> >> rosea grammostola:

> >> That cabinet has the PSU placed at the top.
> >> If you want a silent case, but one which is cheaper
> >> than antec p183, maybe fractal design could
> >> be an alternative?
> >

> >> Also, I would buy one harddrive at 1GB instead of two at 500GB.
> >> Harddrives these days are so fast anyway, that you probably don't
> >> need to run RAID or anything for multitracking. (Even the
> >> slowest HD should be more than fast enough.)
> >> In your setup, the harddrive is also likely to make the most
> >> noise. (not because the ones you have picked is noisy, quite
> >> the contrary, but because the other parts should be quite silent)
> >
> > True, but how do you backup your stuff?
>
> Oh, I don't. :-) When using plain ext2/3/4 file systems you
> receive hints (strange pauses, eventually a random file is
> corrupted) that something is wrong long before everything is lost.
> I've never lost anything important, but have replaced
> my HD many times.

It depends on your luck, in my experience it is not always like that. I
have seen drives that develop bad sectors and you can migrate from them
(minus the bad sectors, of course).

In other instances the warning is just minutes away from complete
failure[*]. "smartctl" is not useful in those (most) cases. I have also
had drives fail on power up - everything is fine until you turn them
off, and then it they are just dead with a periodic click of death.

So, backup backup and backup, and if the data is really important
(think: what would I do if it is gone?) keep an up to date copy
off-site.

-- Fernando

[*] for example: "oh, that's odd, firefox just segfaulted ... and a
minute later nothing works and then your are puzzled and then you
realize the hard disk is gone".