[LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 18:31:07 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
<nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 15:12 +0200, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, rosea grammostola wrote:

>> > True, but how do you backup your stuff?
>>
>> Oh, I don't. :-) When using plain ext2/3/4 file systems you
>> receive hints (strange pauses, eventually a random file is
>> corrupted) that something is wrong long before everything is lost.
>> I've never lost anything important, but have replaced
>> my HD many times.
>
> It depends on your luck, in my experience it is not always like that. I
> have seen drives that develop bad sectors and you can migrate from them
> (minus the bad sectors, of course).
>
> In other instances the warning is just minutes away from complete
> failure[*]. "smartctl" is not useful in those (most) cases. I have also
> had drives fail on power up - everything is fine until you turn them
> off, and then it they are just dead with a periodic click of death.
>
> So, backup backup and backup, and if the data is really important
> (think: what would I do if it is gone?) keep an up to date copy
> off-site.
>
> -- Fernando
>
> [*] for example: "oh, that's odd, firefox just segfaulted ... and a
> minute later nothing works and then your are puzzled and then you
> realize the hard disk is gone".

Hmm a other way might be a backup via network? Having some data
storing device in the home network...
We have several pc's running here, so it might be a good thing. On the
other hand... the energy bill was pretty dissapointing this year... I
don't know what is better in respect to energy usage.

\r