[LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Mon Sep 13 14:19:11 UTC 2010

On Monday 13 September 2010 15:58:55 rosea grammostola wrote:
> Do you guys backup only your /home folder and personal files/
> documents, or the root ( / ) system also?

I do backup the important parts of my home-folder.
And /etc, /usr/local/src (where my local svn-stuff is), /var/lib/mysql (where
my mysql-tables are) and some other important places.

Backing up whole '/' imho is only feasible a) if you really need to put the
system back up real fast by booting from a rescue-cd and restoring the backup
[*] or b) you have to keep the data and a system that can read it for several
years for legal reasons.

[*] Use a backup-program where "restore" is only a cp- or a tar-call.
rsnapshot has proven to be good here at my installations.

Have fun,

Arnold