[LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 14:43:29 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 6:58 AM, rosea grammostola
<rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> Do you guys backup only your /home folder and personal files/
> documents, or the root ( / ) system also?
>
> \r

I back up /home, /audio, /var/lib/portage/world and /etc. On Gentoo
pretty much everything I need to recreate my setup is in /etc so
that's pretty easy. The world file on Gentoo is just a text list of
the apps I want installed. Portage can create a system from nothing
but that. However I need /etc/portage to get any machine specific
settings. All the other things like network configuration, etc., is
kept in /etc on my machines.

If you run mysql then back up databases as Arnold suggests.

Hope this helps,
Mark