[LAU] OT music conducive to programming?

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Sep 22 22:12:03 UTC 2010

Excerpts from James Morris's message of 2010-09-22 12:17:01 +0200:
> I don't listen to music much now, because of consideration for
> neighbours (most of my music collection is best loud) and different
> music tastes to my partner.
>
> Anyway, I'm just listening to The Prodigy's "Invaders Must Die" which
> reminded me of many a time staying up all night with mates playing on
> Xbox/Playstation listening to electronic IDM/DANCE/ETC music - which
> is conducive to shooting people, hijacking cars, racing anti-gravity
> craft, beating people up, etc. But I find it a bit too distracting
> while trying to program.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations for music good for getting them into
> the frame of mind for programming?
>
> Thanks,
> James.

After hearing a little jazz concert today, I think jazz might be quite
motivational. It was the public part of the final exams of two jazz
guitar students who played with a 3/4 piece band each. It took place in
a little jazz club, a former small cinema, quite a nice place. The four
piece band (guitar, bass, drums, trumpet) played songs by Coltrane,
Golson, Thielemans and Jobim. The Jobim piece ("How Insensitive") was
really sweet, but probably not what I'd use for programming. For that
I'd rather listen to faster paced stuff. The five piece band played
(guitar, bass, drums, piano, altosax) songs by Parker,
Waldron, Stern, Young, Wonder, Corea and a self composed piece
(Mičetič). It was a quite enjoyable evening I have to say.
I think I haven't tried jazz for programing yet, but I certainly will.