[LAU] OT music conducive to programming?

Lorenzo lsutton at libero.it
Fri Sep 24 08:40:52 UTC 2010

  Folderol wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:17:01 +0100
> James Morris<jwm.art.net at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I don't listen to music much now, because of consideration for
>> neighbours (most of my music collection is best loud) and different
>> music tastes to my partner.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm just listening to The Prodigy's "Invaders Must Die" which
>> reminded me of many a time staying up all night with mates playing on
>> Xbox/Playstation listening to electronic IDM/DANCE/ETC music - which
>> is conducive to shooting people, hijacking cars, racing anti-gravity
>> craft, beating people up, etc. But I find it a bit too distracting
>> while trying to program.
>>
>> Anyone have any recommendations for music good for getting them into
>> the frame of mind for programming?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James.
> For me, it's any music of any type as long as it's something I know
> really well so can automatically 'not hear' it if I need to *really*
> concentrate.
I tend to agree... Anything new and too 'stimulating' (e.g. Ligeti)  my
brain will switch to "analytical listening mode'.
I have found any instrumental tonal music from the early baroque up to
Mozart (not all works and Beethoven onwards tends to distract me) very
good to help me concentrate and pleasurable at the same moment. I guess
it's the 'reassuring' and 'familiar' aspects of that kind of tonal music
which (like it or not) are now hard-coded in my brain.
But I also guess there's always a personal quid to it...

Lorenzo