[LAU] jamin (was: Albums under a label recorded and/or mixed with Linux)

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Sep 29 21:33:37 UTC 2010

Excerpts from fons's message of 2010-09-29 15:50:43 +0200:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 06:11:36AM -0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
> > Otherwise in the interests of keeping a relatively convivial tone I would
> > like to thank you for spotting the flaws that you have found.
>
> Here's one more:
>
> <http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/jamin-iir-xover.png>
>
> This the frequency response (no EQ or whatever) using the IIR crossover,
> set to 500 Hz and 3 kHz. Those 'qualitatively more experienced DSP
> engineers' don't apparently have the experience to perform even the
> simplest of tests. Nor do they know that the type of filter used will
> produce antiphase signals at the crossover frequency.
>
> (Hint: invert the mid band).
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA
>
> There are three of them, and Alleline.

Wow, those dips are pretty deep.. about 25 dB..

Do I understand your hint correctly when I guess that if you invert the
mid band and add it at the right level the whole thing would end up more
or less flat? I don't know when the actual processing happens, but I
guess if you invert the mid band you will need to handle that a bit
differently as well. Maybe that's all total bollocks though :)