[LAU] real-time wave to midi?

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 16:40:47 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 7:46 AM, Dan Muresan <danmbox at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There are a few these days, but the only one I have ever used is
>> aubionotes, from the aubio package.
>>
>> http://aubio.org/aubionotes.html
>
> Thanks. I didn't know about aubio, though apparently it has been
> around for ages.
>
> Setting up aubionotes is very easy. Unfortunately, it doesn't work
> quite well enough for me (pitch detection is error-prone). But it is
> probably possible to fine-tune the detection parameters by going to
> libaubio directly (aubionotes doesn't have too many options to tweak,
> and the ones available aren't documented).
>
> How did you use aubionotes? Any special tips?

As usual, I didn't do anything serious with it.  I planned on writing
an that would quantize incoming midi notes to a specified key, but
never did.  Though I imagine such a thing must exist (maybe the pd
suggestion would be a better choice).

What type of signal did you run to it?  You could try a compressor in
front of it; I think that helped.  I can't remember if filtering
helped.  Maybe a bandpass tuned to your expected input, or a
combination of high- and lowpass?