[LAU] real-time wave to midi?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Apr 9 02:48:54 UTC 2011

Paul Coccoli wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 7:46 AM, Dan Muresan <danmbox at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> There are a few these days, but the only one I have ever used is
>>> aubionotes, from the aubio package.
>>>
>>> http://aubio.org/aubionotes.html
>> Thanks. I didn't know about aubio, though apparently it has been
>> around for ages.
>>
>> Setting up aubionotes is very easy. Unfortunately, it doesn't work
>> quite well enough for me (pitch detection is error-prone). But it is
>> probably possible to fine-tune the detection parameters by going to
>> libaubio directly (aubionotes doesn't have too many options to tweak,
>> and the ones available aren't documented).
>>
>> How did you use aubionotes? Any special tips?
>
> As usual, I didn't do anything serious with it.  I planned on writing
> an that would quantize incoming midi notes to a specified key, but
> never did.  Though I imagine such a thing must exist (maybe the pd
> suggestion would be a better choice).
>
> What type of signal did you run to it?  You could try a compressor in
> front of it; I think that helped.  I can't remember if filtering
> helped.  Maybe a bandpass tuned to your expected input, or a
> combination of high- and lowpass?

While I wasn't trying to do this in real time, I tried a number of apps
that were supposed to be able translate audio to music notation. I
second the bandpass filter idea, or other filtering, to clean up the
frequency range before the pitch recognition phase. I don't know what
impact that might have on RT performance, though.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community