[LAU] OT: Small studio monitors, or what are you using?

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sat Apr 16 14:58:38 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Harry Van Haaren's message of 2011-04-16 14:49:49 +0200:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Philipp Überbacher
> <hollunder at lavabit.com>wrote:
> >
> > If you need bass, the KRK RP5 might be better suited, they are bass
> > heavy. Can't really judge their overall quality.
>

> A friend of mine had those, they seem badly built. This youtube video
> shows what happens those monitors after some time:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Si9dSnHyNE
>
> Note that's not the guy I know on the video, its not that my mate dropped
> them or mistreated them. A quick google of "krk rp5 buzz" or the likes
> returns plenty of results to discourage me to buy KRK...
>
> I'd go with behringer before them anyday, -Harry

Wow, the stuff in the video is pretty bad. I don't have such a problem
with my G2. All I get is a little noise when they're idle, but you have
to be very close up to hear it, I think that's normal. RF problems
related to mobiles are also mentioned and I do get those, but I didn't
try to figure out whether those come from the cables or the monitors
themselves and the gearslutz posts don't make this clear either.

Because you mentioned Behringer, a friend of mine recently tested
some small Behringer against Adam 3 something and said he didn't hear
much difference but went with the much more expensive Adam nevertheless.

Anyway, this is pretty anecdotal, it's best to listen for oneself if
possible.