[LAU] Editing zynadsuxfx/yoshimi patches?

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Mon Apr 18 21:07:46 UTC 2011

Getting pretty OT here, but here we go anyway.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 08:12:27PM +0100, Folderol wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:13:05 +0200 (CEST)
> Julien Claassen <julien at c-lab.de> wrote:
>
> > Hello Massy!
> >    Ramblngs they might be, but they are certainly interesting. It's nice to
> > hear about comparisons from blind people, who actually tried without
> > prejudging and what you find about such things.
> >    Warmly yours
> >            Julien
>
> I think one of the problems is that we sighted people have not the faintest
> clue as to what being blind means. This is further compounded by the fact that
> we have very little contact (that we are aware of) with blind people. You lot
> get by just too well to be noticeable most of the time!
>
> I'm in my 60s and yet I can name only two blind people that I've met socially -
> and one is Julien when he was visiting London!
Well, I think our lot is no different from the lot faced by any
minority: in a world where virtually everybody sees and where sight
ranks before any other senses in terms of social interaction, how can
people, or even society, be expected to have a passing thought for that
0.x% of the population that can't? That's why you'll see Julien and I,
and no doubt others, tapping people on the shoulder once in a while and
saying, "This application you just released sounds wonderfully useful,
only, I can't use it." No obligation attaches, and I for one don't take
offence if people don't act on it, but if we didn't do that, then we'd
soon be relegated to the world of tape and analogue mixers (nothing
wrong with them, btw) while progress marches on. Same goes for all
matters of accessibility.

[...]
> I would be very pleased to see command-line controls extended for yoshimi. I've
> no idea how much extra work that would make for Cal - it's not as if he was
> sitting around twiddling his thumbs :)
>
> Actually, I commented somewhere (can't remember where now) that this would also
> make automation easier. What you can type into the keyboard, can also be fed in
> from a script.
Philosophy put aside, I believe that is also why Linux is a better
platform for blind people, because, no matter how many sleek new
applications are designed and how much 3D they add to compiz, there is
still a fairly solid core of people who need and use the command-line on
a regular basis, even if it's for batch processing or other basic tasks,
this keeps the door open for us.

Cheers,
S.M.