[LAU] Editing zynadsuxfx/yoshimi patches?

Lieven Moors lievenmoors at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 02:26:28 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 12:57:37AM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello Massy1
>   First to the FUSE part; It might be interesting, but on the other
> hand, we already have lo_send, I think that was the programs name,
> which just sends a parameter value to a specific OSC path. I've used
> it in my earliest testing with DSSI plugins. You can use that from a
> shell script. By using this design for our interface, we only add
> another layer. In any case i'm not sure how much info OSC nodes can
> actually give. I would doubt, if they can tell you what unit a value
> has or what its possible enumeration values mean (1 = sine, 2 =
> sqaure...) So that part would always have to be configured in some
> way. If one is clever, one might write an xml file for this. It's
> not as much work as hard-coding it into a single interface for a
> sngle program and might allow for an "almost" automation. Without
> that XML file, the UI would just show, what can be gathered from the
> OSC parameters, through the OSC system.
>   Kind regards
>           Julien

Hi Julien,

I think you're right about this. The hardest part might be to have
some standard way of communicating the OSC hierarchy, and the types
and ranges of parameters to other programs. I think this should be
the first step if you want to make a generic interface.
I think it would be really hard (in the sense of hard coding :-)
to control a program with OSC, without having a way to find out
about parameters, types and ranges.

I'm wondering if OSC has any introspection methods at all.
Is there anyone who could shed a light on this?
Is there some standard xml format for describing OSC parameters ?
Maybe it's a stupid question, but I didn't find anything on
the subject...

Oh wait, I tried again, and just found this:

http://www.plateforme-virage.org/?p=1444

greetings,

lieven