[LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 09:01:07 UTC 2011

On 3 August 2011 03:59, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 6:45 AM,  pshirkey wrote:
>
>> This is the kind of feedback that we can only get when companies make the
>> effort to use Linux tools as part of a solution.
>>
>> Chicken vs egg.
>
> I still believe (what a naive person am I) that it's possible to come
> up with reasonable business models around FOSS (fingers crossed for
> MuseScore folks), but IMO part of the job is gettings contacts with
> companies who do contracts with governments, and generally staying
> tuned to what's happening around. That means quitting the dangerous
> "I'm just a programmer" attitude. Monotechnics is hardly an excuse.

Developers should develop software, end of. A lot of free software is
developed on a voluntary basis, because the developer wants to, not
because they're paid. You have no right to tell these developers it is
their job to go chasing government contracts. Such activities are much
better suited to people with big strong forceful opinionated
personalities such as yourself.