[LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

pshirkey at boosthardware.com pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Aug 3 09:10:23 UTC 2011

> On 3 August 2011 03:59, Alexandre Prokoudine
> <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 6:45 AM,  pshirkey wrote:
>>
>>> This is the kind of feedback that we can only get when companies make
>>> the
>>> effort to use Linux tools as part of a solution.
>>>
>>> Chicken vs egg.
>>
>> I still believe (what a naive person am I) that it's possible to come
>> up with reasonable business models around FOSS (fingers crossed for
>> MuseScore folks), but IMO part of the job is gettings contacts with
>> companies who do contracts with governments, and generally staying
>> tuned to what's happening around. That means quitting the dangerous
>> "I'm just a programmer" attitude. Monotechnics is hardly an excuse.
>
> Developers should develop software, end of. A lot of free software is
> developed on a voluntary basis, because the developer wants to, not
> because they're paid. You have no right to tell these developers it is
> their job to go chasing government contracts. Such activities are much
> better suited to people with big strong forceful opinionated
> personalities such as yourself.

And then people like you get to reap the rewards when money is invested
into <you favorite software> ...  There are lots of angles to cover to
progress the platform/ecosystem.  There are plenty round here who spend a
substantial amount of their time working to get contracts so they can
invest time and money into developing tools further.

Govt contracts however are few and far between.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd