[LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 11:29:58 UTC 2011

On 4 August 2011 11:48, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Fine, just don't take digs at developers who would rather develop
>>> software. Believe it or not, many developers
>>
>> Believe it or not, many developers do actually want to make usable software.
>
> Well, I already said that here and now you can be either a
> monotechnician with little to no user community or a, er,
> dolby-surround-technician :) with a bigger community.
>
> When you start a business, you don't hire hundreds of people all at
> once. You do a hell of work yourself, *then* you hire people to
> gradually substitute you so that you could focus on management or
> whatever it is you do. Why should a free software project be any
> different?

> If you are on your tod with your project and you refuse to larn new
> stuff to get a potential to grow dev/user community, then you already
> lost. Yes, you still have your pet project, but chances are that very
> few people will care.

Well it's lucky then that I'm not driven by numbers isn't it?

I always feel that half the purpose of these crusades to make Linux
more user-friendly, more appealing to the mass-market, desktop-ready,
etc, etc, is to stamp out the small projects created by hobbyists.
They're too untidy when image is everything, and that's the real
reason you don't like Stallman, he has zero mass appeal, and is
passionate about freedom, and the freedoms are what allows the
hobbyists to exist and thrive (to some extent) within the Linux eco
system. Anyway that's just my suspicious feelings.

>>> Well let's all hail the new saviours! My, how big their brains must be!
>>
>> So let's get this straight: Developers should stop moaning and just
>> get on and study the entire spectrum of human endeavour while
>> simultaneously developing usable software?
>
> Do you think overreaction and exxageration will help the discussion?
> I think not.

Sorry I was responding like-with-like (a bad habit of mine). I suppose
if I had a greater mental capacity for study I'd find the idea of
studying "everything that is even remotely related to human beings and
the world around us" more plausible, but as it goes, you make it sound
far too heroic... Either that or they're a jack of all trades master
of none. I could try not taking your word for it and find out for
myself what usability studies are all about.

But I can't be bothered.

>> Perhaps you should come up with some usable ideas.
>
> Love your attitude :)

You don't know the half of it.

>>> So you don't want to help developers by chasing government contracts for them?
>
> When we first discussed using Linux in government institutions,
> schools etc. here in Russia back in 2008 or so, the plan was to hand a
> bagful of money to FOSS developers including those who are in
> multimedia produuction niche. Then the cr*s*s got to us, and the
> initial plan was buried due to all sorts of financial cuts. Needless
> to say, if and when another opportunity arises, I will do my best.

I'm sure we'll both do our best in both cases :-)

Best
James