[LAU] PHASEX patch reverse-engineering challenge

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Fri Aug 5 01:19:30 UTC 2011

Some years ago, when I first tried out PHASEX, I created this silly little demo:

http://www.archive.org/download/KenRestivoInternetArchivePart1/phasexdemo.ogg

At the time, I either hadn't figured out how to save patches, or forgot to save the patch, or perhaps PHASEX crashed on me before I got to save (it was its first release after all).

I thought of turning that goofy little chord progression into a club/dance/house/techno/disco number eventually, but never got around to it.

Yesterday I played it for my daughter, who is really into club/dance/pop/house music, and she liked it a lot and thought it was worth developing.  But, of course, it was the *sound* that she was mostly impressed with, not that very pedestrian chord progression (yay PHASEX, whatevs me).

So. I could spend hours with PHASEX trying to re-create that patch, but I doubt I'd ever get around to doing that. I figured maybe I'd put it out there and see if anyone else would like the challenge instead (please do, however, send me the patch if you figure it out).

Here's what I do remember: the arpeggiated sound was, IIRC, done just with a filter, there was a 1/8 beat delay with tons of repeat, it was in poly mode, and somehow there was a very long release on something (VCA? VCF?). The first note was literally just one note; PHASEX did all the rest. After that I was just playing triads with my right hand and a single note in the bass.

-ken