[LAU] Subject=Re: community pages

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 10:43:30 UTC 2011

On 08/05/2011 10:56 AM, Aurélien Leblond wrote:
>> I'm thinking we can do something even more complete than the planet feeds.
>> Definitely automated updates on content will be a big part of it though.
> Is that really what we want though? Automatic feeds?
>
> When I started to use Linux few years back to produce music, what I
> wanted to know is: what software to use, what can they do, few
> audio/video examples to judge by myself if that was what I was looking
> for.
>
> I stumbled accross a few of these automatic generated feeds, and to be
> honest they didn't tell me much.
>
> Shouldn't we start by deciding the audience we want to reach?
> We don't really want to "advertise" to the advanced users, they
> already know where to look.
> And I'm afraid the "newbe" would be overwhelmed by an automatic feed.
>
> What I had in mind was this:
> - A single campaign on facebook/twitter/google+ around the major
> actors of FOSS music software (like Ardour, LMMS, Hydrogen, etc...)
> - A simple message
> - And see how that goes to repeat the experience (or not!)
>
> I still agree that we should centralize the action though!

If only the project Ardour would manage to become active and known on
social media (twitter, youtube channel), then you are almost there.
Other projects are too small likely to get much attention. A chance
might be to have a centralized account for such small projects.

I am not a marketing expert, but words like 'Linux', 'FLOSS' might be
frightening people. 'Opensource', 'Ardour' and 'Ubuntu' (and probably
Creative Commons) are words which lay much better in 'the market'...

Possible names for a centralized account:

OpenSourceAudio
OpenSourceMusic
OpenSourceMusicians
Linuxaudio
Linuxaudio.org
LinuxMusicians
Linuxmusicians.com

A account @twitter & @Identica to start with?

The guys from LMMS for example (as other projects), could mention that
account when posting a message.

'LMMS 0.9 is out! Grab it at http://lmms.org #lmms #opensourceaudio
@opensourceaudio'

This message can then be retweeted by the centralized account.

\r