[LAU] Subject=Re: community pages

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 10:57:32 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 11:43 AM, rosea grammostola <
rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not a marketing expert, but words like 'Linux', 'FLOSS' might be
> frightening people. 'Opensource', 'Ardour' and 'Ubuntu' (and probably
> Creative Commons) are words which lay much better in 'the market'...

I cannot begin to describe how much I disagree with "rebranding" what is
being done to make it go big. Sure "open source" is a nice term, and "create
commons" is too, but one should stand with what it is that your *actually
doing*, and dimming it down for people getting into the scene is not going
to improve the situation in the long run. Turning them into a veteran linux
audio guys: that's a better goal.

Restating: I disagree with the idea of "marketing" names for what we do.
People will be draw to the comunity *because* of what we do, not because of
*how we brand* what we do.

The guys from LMMS for example (as other projects), could mention that
> account when posting a message.
> 'LMMS 0.9 is out! Grab it at http://lmms.org #lmms #opensourceaudio
> @opensourceaudio'

That's not a bad idea. And its being done already to some degree,
check @linuxsound,
it posts links to all LAU mails. If we done the same for the LAA list, that
might suffice for the "Grab it here" style messages?