[LAU] Aptosid & Debian music distributions => AVLinux recommended

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Aug 14 23:42:46 UTC 2011

hermann wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 05.08.2011, 21:03 -1000 schrieb david:
>> Well, just tried to use AVLinux 5.0.1 with my USB soundcard, and JACK
>> crashed on startup when I try to run 16msec latency. It will run at
>> 32msec latency. Probably the lack of an RT kernel in the live DVD.
>
> Do you have reported that to GMaq ?
> A good way to improve the Linux Audio world is ever report bug's to
> upstream. I'm pretty sure that GMaq didn't own a hardware farm to check
> any use-case, he need reports by users to improve this stuff.
>
> greats
> herman
>
> But to be honest,  well I'm a debian sid user myself, and fully agree
> with you that tweak a no audio distro to Pro Audio studio is comfortable
> at all. I use only my own custom build rt-kernels, and that is also true
> for the most of my audio apps. :-)

Well, reported that (and a separate issue) using AV Linux's report bug
feature. Turns out the JACK1 and Yoshimi packages AV Linux uses are not
Debian packages, they're custom AV Linux packages. (So why doesn't AV
Linux' report bugs for their own packages to their own tracking system?
beats me.) No help from Debian Multimedia, supposed to go check the AV
Linux forums. Apparently AV Linux wants to use things from Squeeze that
aren't being backported ... or something like that.

AV Linux is a JACK1 distro. On my hardware, JACK2 works better. Bummer,
I like the look of AV Linux.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com