[LAU] LV2 - "Are we nearly there yet?"

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 10:20:08 UTC 2011

On 12/20/2011 01:00 PM, linux-audio-user-request at lists.linuxaudio.org
wrote:
> 2011 is very nearly over - I was kinda hoping Ardour 3 would have had
> a stable release by now which obviously hasn't happened but at least
> it has made huge leaps in stability and functionality this year; I
> wasn't hedging my bets on it being done by now to be honest but
> congrats to all involved for their continued hard work anyway!
Afaik A3 gets good reviews, also in terms of workflow. So far so good.
> Apart
> from A3 going beta, other notable FLOSS audio highlights for me this
> year have been the release of OpenOctave MIDI which would seem to have
> forked MuSE to very rapidly become the most professional FLOSS MIDI
> sequencer and TYOQA actually happened! Whoop! Things are really
> starting to heat up in the FLOSS DAW world and we have a few real good
> choices now!
+1

> This year also saw a stable JACK release complete with JACK session
> support and Nedko has just released v1 of LADISH - both of these
> technologies are much needed for having a nice workflow when using
> multiple standalone JACK apps to create music but I hope that in 2012
> JACK session managers such as these will become a largely unrequired,
> legacy aspect of Linux audio because instead we will hopefully have a
> good selection of LV2 plugins to do what currently requires standalone
> JACK apps.
JackSession makes my life more easy. I'm happy with it and hope it will
be improved and more widely supported in 2012.
LV2 is a other thing which is improved a lot in 2011, very important for
Linuxaudio.

It would be good if Renoise would support LV2 soon.

Other things on my wishlist for 2012 ;)

- Musicxml export for Lilypond
- JackSession more widely supported (so far so good)
- Pianoteq, Renoise etc. with LV2 support
- Adding bends to tablature functionality in Lilypond
- JACK 3 :)
- Improved SFZ support in LinuxSampler

> Happy Christmas Linux Audio land!
Merry Christmas indeed!