[LAU] Linux programs for creatiing/manipulating sound effects

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Feb 9 16:17:46 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Paul Davis's message of 2011-02-09 12:58:37 +0100:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 6:54 AM, Jeremy Jongepier <autostatic at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 02/09/2011 12:41 PM, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> >>
> >> do you happen to know what gstreamer-properties is part of?
> >
> > It's part of the gnome-media-common package for Ubuntu. But you can also set
> > it with gconf-editor or even gconftool:
> > gconftool -t string -s /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosink
> > "jackaudiosink"
>
> more comprehensive info at:
>
>              http://jackaudio.org/gstreamer_via_jack
>
> it would be nice if more and more people read the FAQ :)

Thanks Jeremy and Paul.

It doesn't seem to be up-to-date because gst-inspect-0.10 jackaudiosink
fails with the message "No such element or plugin 'jackaudiosink'" and
base/bad/ugly plugins installed. I don't want to install good-plugins
because it would pull a lot of otherwise unneeded gnome dependencies,
such as orbit2, polkit, gconf, libgnome-keyring and libsoup-gnome. I'll
try to build good-plugins without those things and see whether jack is
there.

Is there a way to configure gstreamer on a modern gnome-free system,
possibly using a common tool such as a text editor?