[LAU] Linux programs for creatiing/manipulating sound effects

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Feb 9 16:31:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Philipp Überbacher
<hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:

> It doesn't seem to be up-to-date because gst-inspect-0.10 jackaudiosink
> fails with the message "No such element or plugin 'jackaudiosink'" and
> base/bad/ugly plugins installed. I don't want to install good-plugins
> because it would pull a lot of otherwise unneeded gnome dependencies,

you would have to check what package your distro has put the gstreamer
JACK plugin into. it varies from distro to disto.

note that gstreamer itself doesn't need most of the things you
mentioned - most of them are artifacts of the way its been packaged.

> Is there a way to configure gstreamer on a modern gnome-free system,
> possibly using a common tool such as a text editor?

you are not configuring gstreamer as much as system properties which
gstreamer happens to look up. i know of no way to do this with a text
editor, and just as it used to be that you could screw up your system
by editing the windows registry with a text editor, i suspect you'd
run into the same issue if you tried that with the configuration
information normally controlled by gconftool and friends.