[LAU] Linux programs for creatiing/manipulating sound effects

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Thu Feb 10 19:57:05 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Paul Davis's message of 2011-02-09 17:31:40 +0100:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Philipp Überbacher
> <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
>
> > It doesn't seem to be up-to-date because gst-inspect-0.10 jackaudiosink
> > fails with the message "No such element or plugin 'jackaudiosink'" and
> > base/bad/ugly plugins installed. I don't want to install good-plugins
> > because it would pull a lot of otherwise unneeded gnome dependencies,
>
> you would have to check what package your distro has put the gstreamer
> JACK plugin into. it varies from distro to disto.

It's in the good-plugins on Arch Linux,

> note that gstreamer itself doesn't need most of the things you
> mentioned - most of them are artifacts of the way its been packaged.

After messing around for a while I managed to build gstreamer and gconf
without most gnome stuff (gconf being the obvious exception, and it
needs ORBIT for some reason).

> > Is there a way to configure gstreamer on a modern gnome-free system,
> > possibly using a common tool such as a text editor?
>
> you are not configuring gstreamer as much as system properties which
> gstreamer happens to look up. i know of no way to do this with a text
> editor, and just as it used to be that you could screw up your system
> by editing the windows registry with a text editor, i suspect you'd
> run into the same issue if you tried that with the configuration
> information normally controlled by gconftool and friends.

It's an xml format so it should be possible to edit it, but I managed to
build and install a reasonably stripped down version of gconf.

gconftool-2 is also not easy to handle, the manpage is incomplete and
out of date. I'd appreciate it if you could add the following lines to
your jack FAQ:
gconftool-2 -s /system/gstreamer/0.10/audio/default/musicaudiosink
["jackaudiosink buffer-time=2000000"] --type=list --list-type=string

gconftool-2 -s /system/gstreamer/0.10/audio/default/audiosink
["jackaudiosink buffer-time=2000000"] --type=list --list-typ
e=string

Those lines seem to work in case of smasher at least, but sadly not for
firefox (ogg playback).

Thanks, this is a step closer to usable gstreamer.