[LAU] codecs vs patents

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Sun Feb 13 21:09:25 UTC 2011

On 13/02/11 22:50, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just spotted this in the wild.
>
> http://quicktoots.linuxaudio.org/toots/codecs/codecs.pdf
>
> Food for thought re the looming VP8 patent battle.
>
> Microsoft just got Nokia and will do their best to take out MeeGo and all
> the support for open source that Nokia currently embraces. We certainly
> don't need them to take out html5 video too.

I've only skimmed the document you linked, but I'm not sure what your
implications are around HTML5 video and the Microsoft/Nokia deal. I
can't see Microsoft doing anything to kill HTML5 in general -- they have
just as much to gain from it in the mobile space as anyone else.

Microsoft will certainly push H.264 and AAC, but so did Nokia. In fact,
despite their generally excellent service to open-source in general,
Nokia was one of the most vocal opponents to the inclusion of mandatory
Vorbis and Theora support in the HTML5 draft specifications.

Thanks
Leigh