[LAU] Linux Laptops

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Tue Feb 15 03:35:48 UTC 2011

re Lenovo. i'll never buy from them for a while. been using a Sony VAIO X for about a year now but don't do much audio or i'd want something faster than an Atom. heres my x200 review:

my x200 tablet has been nightmarish.

it seems to 'fry' network cards every couple of months. i replaced the stock 5100 card with a 5300, and it happened again!

the card just disappears from the device manager (win7) and lspci (linux) until a hard power cycle. its accelerated to the point where it breaks within 30 seconds of startup

my 380D thinkpad also fried PCMCIA cards, and any CF cards in adaptors. i actually heard zaps. +19V into a part requiring 3.3V or something? really f'd up.

X200 takes 20 minutes to POST, after a BIOS upgrade i ran hoping to fix the wireless. i keep upgrading t the new BIOSes and the problem still isnt fixed, and BIOS downgrades fail.

what about never rebooting? well hard freezes occur at least once a day.

its 2 years old,cant even figure out if its covered on warranty, support wants a Serial/SKU which unfortunately i peeled off soon after purchasing and none of my email addys pop up on lenovo's direct-purchase 'forgot my password' option..

my Thinkpad A21m fell apart, quite quickly. granted it was one of the cheap plastic ones, the modern equivalent being ideapad.

i guess you can say i havent experienced the "Thinkpad Quality". in fact theyre hitting 0 for 3

i should just go back to Apple, my 1992 Mac LCII still runs fine on NetBSD