[LAU] Petri-Foo Segfault

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 08:35:53 UTC 2011

On 17 February 2011 01:50, Josh Lawrence <hardbop200 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing a seqfault when running Petri-Foo:
>
> [~]$ petri-foo
> lash_open_socket: could not connect to host 'localhost', service '14541'
> lash_comm_connect_to_server: could not create server connection
> JACK error: This system has no accessible HPET device (Device or resource busy)
> Connected to JACK server with client name 'LASH_Server'
> Opened ALSA sequencer with client ID 130
> Listening for connections
> Created project project-1 in directory /home/josh/audio-projects/project-1
> Added client 87edbf96-21e0-4085-9c2b-3c512400aea6 of class petri-foo
> to project project-1
> Client 87edbf96-21e0-4085-9c2b-3c512400aea6 set its name to 'petri-foo'
> Segmentation fault
> [~]$ Client petri-foo removed from project project-1
> Project project-1 removed
>
> there are two things here that aren't clear to me:
>
> 1. I configured the software with --disable-lash, yet it's trying to
> start lash anyway...

Ok thanks, I'll look into it. That's a problem inherited from Specimen ;-)

> 2. members of the audio group have permissions to use (is that the
> right word?) the HPET timer, but it's saying it's busy, maybe because
> jack is already running?

This might be a problem with how you've configured JACK. Some questions to ask:

1) Does your motherboard have a HPET device?
2) Is the Kernel/Alsa configured for the HPET device (if it exists) to work?

This might help:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User_talk:Hollunder#timers.2C_hpet.2C_hrtimer
Or you could remove the  --clocksource OR -c [ c(ycle) | h(pet) |
s(ystem) ] option from the Jackd command line.

I don't know where it's seg-faulting or why. If you have the time and
inclination you could do the following:

rebuild:

1) cd Petri-Foo
2) make clean
3) ./configure --enable-debug
4) make

enable core dumps:

5) ulimit -c unlimited

run:

6) src/petri-foo

hopefully it will have segfaulted again in the same way.
load petri-foo and the core dump into Gnu Debugger:

7) gdb src/petri-foo core

get backtrace:

8) thread apply all bt

copy and post to petri-foo-devel. subscribe here: