[LAU] Music made with Linux: Pushing Angel 303

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Sun Feb 27 11:11:03 UTC 2011

On 02/26/2011 10:53 PM, Rafal Zawadzki wrote:

> Routing and mixer + also intuitive usage of plugins on mixer - was very
> nice. Unfortunately at this point my ardour started to crash - for now I
> don't remember exactly details (it was around 2,5 months ago). I was using
> KXStudio based on Ubuntu Lucid (32 bit) on Dell XPSM1330 (3GB ram), latest
> ardour - 2.8.11 - for that time...

i haven't seen easily reproducible crashes with ardour2 for a while now,
and it has generally been very reliable for me. the only area where i
tread very lightly is midi controllers... too many events coming in or
going out, and it can go poof on you. there used to be a few places
where deleting something that had a midi controller assigned to it would
do horrible things.

> At some we found, that drums are bit desyncronised in recording and we
> would like them to tune a bit. So I started to slice them and we wanted
> connect them - we found problem. For 1,5 hour 3 ppl (1 very technical, 1
> half technical, 1 non technical) were not able to find an easy / any way to
> activate it. Problem supposed to be easy - create new drum track based on
> sliced samples - alliging / snapping them,.

there are different grid snapping modes. there's also a global lock mode
which prevents region moving altogether. i'm pretty sure this particular
problem was based on a misunderstanding of how ardour works, rather than
a bug.

> Today I opened ardour, read small sample, set snapping to region ends and
> magnetic - and it did work. No clue - maybe problem was realet with "weight
> of project" and that everything working  slow? (2,5 hours of recorind for 5
> channels - ardour on my not too fast laptop was pretty). For now I don't
> access to this project to check this behaviour once again. Hm, saying more
> - now even snapping to beat work. Dunno.

unlikely - i have used ardour on 3 hour 72 track productions using more
than 1500 jack ports, and i haven't seen this.

> Another problem which we experienced - ardour was slow on zooming -
> mooving the workspace. Probably faster machine would resolve the problem -
> but another DAW here (Linux) was faster....

true. it can be a bit tedious on older machines. but i'm not sure it's
cpu-bound - i guess it depends on the speed of the disk, because that's
where the peak files reside. and audio data always seems to take
precedence (good!), so if your disk is working hard to deliver audio,
peak file scanning will suffer.

> Another of problem was editing of sample in details - finally we finished
> with exporting them to audacity and so on....

oh yeah, the pencil mode... true, ardour doesn't do that.

> About my "useless" word - I was referring to work with Ardour as software
> to create music. For me, personally is difficult to focus on creativity
> when I don't have access to built in "piano player", "step sequencer" just
> out of the box.
<...>
> I read that piano roll will be part of ardour3 - thats sounds very
> promising...

yup, a3 might be your cup of tea exactly.