[LAU] Music made with Linux: Pushing Angel 303

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Sun Feb 27 12:40:32 UTC 2011

Am 27.02.2011 12:11, schrieb Jörn Nettingsmeier:
> On 02/26/2011 10:53 PM, Rafal Zawadzki wrote:
>
>> Routing and mixer + also intuitive usage of plugins on mixer - was very
>> nice. Unfortunately at this point my ardour started to crash - for now I
>> don't remember exactly details (it was around 2,5 months ago). I was
>> using
>> KXStudio based on Ubuntu Lucid (32 bit) on Dell XPSM1330 (3GB ram),
>> latest
>> ardour - 2.8.11 - for that time...
>
> i haven't seen easily reproducible crashes with ardour2 for a while now,
> and it has generally been very reliable for me.

I can second that.
A2 works production-stable for me both on a quad-core with MAudio 1024
card or Presonus Firebox under Suse 11.2 with jengelh-RT-kernel and on a
Thinkpad T60 with MAudio Mobile pro or built-in HDA under Fedora14/CCRMA
-- with the very same 30+ track projects with dozens of plugins
including experimental CALF-SVN-Snapshots. With less than 10ms latency.

I suspect problems with the system-setup and/or kernel.

> the only area where i
> tread very lightly is midi controllers... too many events coming in or
> going out, and it can go poof on you. there used to be a few places
> where deleting something that had a midi controller assigned to it would
> do horrible things.
>

>> At some we found, that drums are bit desyncronised in recording and we
>> would like them to tune a bit. So I started to slice them and we wanted
>> connect them - we found problem. For 1,5 hour 3 ppl (1 very technical, 1
>> half technical, 1 non technical) were not able to find an easy / any
>> way to
>> activate it.

You mean: automagically slicing, then "quantizing" everything?

I seldom do stuff like that. Remember, that all the other instruments in
the band have played with the drummer as you have recorded the material.
Repairing one or 2 glitches in timing may be done with technology-tricks
but if really the complete drum-track is off, would it not be
considerable to re-record?
At the other hand: if the drums should be "desynchronized" alltogether,
they should be in time internally. so you would not need to slice, just
move the complete regions.

Anyway: the band has actually *played* the songs like this. Within 1.5 h
it should be possible to make a better recording?

>> Problem supposed to be easy - create new drum track based on
>> sliced samples - alliging / snapping them,.
>
> there are different grid snapping modes. there's also a global lock mode
> which prevents region moving altogether. i'm pretty sure this particular
> problem was based on a misunderstanding of how ardour works, rather than
> a bug.
>
>> Today I opened ardour, read small sample, set snapping to region ends and
>> magnetic - and it did work. No clue - maybe problem was realet with
>> "weight
>> of project" and that everything working slow? (2,5 hours of recorind
>> for 5
>> channels - ardour on my not too fast laptop was pretty). For now I don't
>> access to this project to check this behaviour once again. Hm, saying
>> more
>> - now even snapping to beat work. Dunno.
>
> unlikely - i have used ardour on 3 hour 72 track productions using more
> than 1500 jack ports, and i haven't seen this.
>
>> Another problem which we experienced - ardour was slow on zooming -
>> mooving the workspace. Probably faster machine would resolve the
>> problem -
>> but another DAW here (Linux) was faster....
>
> true. it can be a bit tedious on older machines. but i'm not sure it's
> cpu-bound - i guess it depends on the speed of the disk, because that's
> where the peak files reside. and audio data always seems to take
> precedence (good!), so if your disk is working hard to deliver audio,
> peak file scanning will suffer.
>
>> Another of problem was editing of sample in details - finally we finished
>> with exporting them to audacity and so on....
>
> oh yeah, the pencil mode... true, ardour doesn't do that.
>
>> About my "useless" word - I was referring to work with Ardour as software
>> to create music. For me, personally is difficult to focus on creativity
>> when I don't have access to built in "piano player", "step sequencer"
>> just
>> out of the box.
> <...>
>> I read that piano roll will be part of ardour3 - thats sounds very
>> promising...
>
> yup, a3 might be your cup of tea exactly.

Only, if you want to record MIDI-notes in the first place. Such as:
drums being triggering Hydrogen or another sampler. Instruments played
by hand and singers will be more or less the same in A3.

best regs

HZN