[LAU] Sample converters

Q lists at quirq.ukfsn.org
Sun Jan 2 21:34:23 UTC 2011

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Q <lists at quirq.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> <SNIP>
>> As for converting VSTi's, whilst what Paul says about it being an API is
>> true, it depends on the VSTi as there are many which are basically just
>> sample players with a few filter effects added on. There are a few Mellotron
>> ones which spring to mind. Hell, that's what the GForce M-Tron, M-Tron Pro
>> and Virtual String Machine (ARP Solina et al) are, with huge great sample
>> libraries attached.
>
> I've never even seen a real Solina so I didn't know how to compare.
> The sounds are nice enough for what it is so for me it's great.
>
> I think if the software above could be set up to run unassisted,
> sampling ever note at lots of velocities, etc., then someone would be
> on their way to an easy gig file like the SampleTekk stuff without all
> the hassle folks went through in the past.
>
> - Mark

Well, maybe less hassle in producing a gigfile in that way, but a whole
world of pain when the lawyers come knocking on your door for having
ripped off someone else's samples and repackaging them :-)

I suppose if you do it for yourself and don't ever redistribute no-one
would be any the wiser.

But seriously, having recently created umpteen simple gigfiles from
scratch (with limited range of notes and no velocity layers), I can see
your point -- creating those things takes a lot of hard work and skill.
Which makes me even more incredulous at the cheapness at which some are
sold in sales.

If/when Giga finally dies, it would be a shame for all that work to go
down the pan when such effort has gone into skillfully sampling those
instruments and conversion is a way that those sampled instruments (for
I think they have a character in their own right) might live on, even if
only privately for one user.