[LAU] (LV2) plugins and accessibility

S. Massy lists at smassy.andropov.org
Tue Jan 18 20:05:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 07:40:50PM +0100, Philipp ??berbacher wrote:
> So I guess what it really takes is a host that provides a good CLI-UI.
Yes, or perhaps a host allowing interaction with the plugin through a
TCP port like LinuxSampler does.

> The trouble is, I guess, designing such an UI.
>
> I'm not blind, but I would use a good keyboard driven host, and I think many
> others would do the same.
I hope so. I think that CLI and GUI each have their own advantages and
drawbacks, and each have their place.

> The UI would need to be keyboard driven, but I really don't know how the
> input would work and which feedback in which form the host should
> provide. Which kind of UI is best for blind users? Does ncurses get in
> the way somehow or does it work well? Is a command driven interface
> better (you give a command, you get a response and give another
> command)? Since lv2 is mostly about audio so far we might not need a lot
> of text feedback, but it could still be handy for some things and
> somehow the user needs to know what he can do, which is the main reason for
> menus IMHO, and I don't know the CLI alternative.
Well, once again, pure commands and keystrokes have their own inherent
advantages and drawbacks. Speaking as a braille display user, I have no
objection to curses interfaces, so long as they provide proper
focus-tracking. My idea of a UI with the right approach is Bristol's
CLI, which provides a vi-flavoured interface, thus allowing parameter
manipulation via key shortcuts and a command mode entered with a ":"
prefix.

Cheers,
S.M.