[LAU] timemachine bug

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sat Jan 22 10:49:38 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Folderol's message of 2011-01-22 11:38:37 +0100:
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 08:37:04 +0000
> Peter Nelson <peter at fuzzle.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 18:25 -0800, Kim Cascone wrote:
> > > when I connect the output of Audacity to Timemachine _by hand_ using
> > > Patchage
> > > there is a delay in the stereo sound file between the start of audio in
> > > ch1 & 2
> > > which is equal to the time at which the connections are physically made
> > > to timemachine
> > >
> > > in other words:
> > > - I create a 10 sec file of 440Hz sine in Audacity
> > > - play it back on loop
> > > - go to Patchage and connect ch1 from PortAudio (which is actually
> > > Audacity) to Timemachine wait 10 seconds then connect ch2 to the other
> > > input of Timemachine
> > > - hit record on Timemachine wait a couple of seconds
> > > - stop record on Timemachine
> > > - stop playback of 440 sine in Audacity
> > > - open the sound file recorded by Timemachine in Audacity
> > > - look at the start of the sound file
> > > - there is a delay between channels seen in the sound file equal to the
> > > time I waited to connect ch1 & ch2
> >
> > Maybe you could try with a JACK-native audio player. See below...
> >
> > > side question: why do the outputs of Audacity appear as PortAudio in Jack?
> > > is it a reference to virtual ports being instantiated when playback
> > > occurs in Audacity?
> >
> > No, it's because Audacity does not support JACK. It only half-manages it
> > through using the PortAudio library.
> >
> > Peter.
>
> ... and the devs seem highly resistant to the idea of writing in full jack
> support - they've certainly been asked often enough. Maybe it's due to
> cross-platform implications.

Jack is available on Linux, Windows, OSX and Solaris as far as I know,
that' pretty cross platform if you ask me.

Anyway, I don't know whether this is a timemachine or audacity error.
The error probably won't occur with an audio editor that doesn't require
you to connect during playback.