[LAU] timemachine bug

David Adler david.jo.adler at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 10:58:09 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 3:25 AM, Kim Cascone wrote:
> when I connect the output of Audacity to Timemachine _by hand_ using
> Patchage
> there is a delay in the stereo sound file between the start of audio in ch1
> & 2
> which is equal to the time at which the connections are physically made to
> timemachine
>
> in other words:
> - I create a 10 sec file of 440Hz sine in Audacity
> - play it back on loop
> - go to Patchage and connect ch1 from PortAudio (which is actually Audacity)
> to Timemachine wait 10 seconds then connect ch2 to the other input of
> Timemachine

wait for ten seconds here, and see if it still happens (see below).

> - hit record on Timemachine wait a couple of seconds
> - stop record on Timemachine
> - stop playback of 440 sine in Audacity
> - open the sound file recorded by Timemachine in Audacity
> - look at the start of the sound file
> - there is a delay between channels seen in the sound file equal to the time
> I waited to connect ch1 & ch2

Could this be due to the 'timemashine'-feature of timemashine? When
started up, it buffers (default) ten seconds of what arrives at its
input, as soon as the record button is hit it adds the ten seconds to
the recording. I'm just wondering whether timemashine just records you
manually doing the connections.

just to be sure.

best,