[LAU] [LAD] OpenOctaveMidi2 (OOM2) beta release

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 03:42:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Christopher Cherrett wrote:
> From: Orcan Ogetbil
>> That said, I believe the original codebase deserved a little more
>> credit than what is there in the bottom corner of the AUTHORS file.
>> Moreover, when they forked off, they _kindly_ asked us to not backport
>> some of the changes they made (mostly appearance related). While I do
>> not have any intention of using their look, I found this a little odd.
>> You are borrowing tens of thousands of lines of code from a project,
>> don't give them credit in your project webpage, and tell them not to
>> use your little contribution in their original codebase. There is
>> something morally wrong here.
>
> As for not using our look, you are free to the style sheet I created for you
> but change the colors was all I was asking. You should communicate these
> things directly to me instead of out here in the lions den :)

Hi Chris,
what's wrong with using the colors? (just curious)

> As for more attribution, what would you like. I have no issues with giving
> you props where you need it. So what do you need?

I would make it clear in my fork's webpage [1] that the codebase is
taken from such an original project, give thanks to the developers and
the users of this  original project, and obviously give the link to
the original project's webpage. I would give the date of the fork, and
explain what has been modified.

Thanks,
Orcan

[1] well, not really. I would probably not fork in the first place.