[LAU] [LAD] OpenOctaveMidi2 (OOM2) beta release

torbenh torbenh at gmx.de
Sat Jan 29 14:32:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:42:59PM -0500, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Christopher Cherrett wrote:
> > From: Orcan Ogetbil
> >> That said, I believe the original codebase deserved a little more
> >> credit than what is there in the bottom corner of the AUTHORS file.
> >> Moreover, when they forked off, they _kindly_ asked us to not backport
> >> some of the changes they made (mostly appearance related). While I do
> >> not have any intention of using their look, I found this a little odd.
> >> You are borrowing tens of thousands of lines of code from a project,
> >> don't give them credit in your project webpage, and tell them not to
> >> use your little contribution in their original codebase. There is
> >> something morally wrong here.
> >
> > As for not using our look, you are free to the style sheet I created for you
> > but change the colors was all I was asking. You should communicate these
> > things directly to me instead of out here in the lions den :)
> >

> Hi Chris,
> what's wrong with using the colors? (just curious)

it would be a ripoff !!!1111
bah....

deleting ChangeLogs is the sucks.

> > As for more attribution, what would you like. I have no issues with giving
> > you props where you need it. So what do you need?
> >

> I would make it clear in my fork's webpage [1] that the codebase is
> taken from such an original project, give thanks to the developers and
> the users of this  original project, and obviously give the link to
> the original project's webpage. I would give the date of the fork, and
> explain what has been modified.

maybe add the the date, where muse started.
so people can see the ratio of work that had been done.

i still find it very sad, that this fork has happened because you just
wanted some result, and not make it mergeable.

> Thanks,
> Orcan
>
> [1] well, not really. I would probably not fork in the first place.

torben Hohn